View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 07:45 PM   #8
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Talking Great Stuff, RG!

I love old maps....great job stitiching this one together, RG...thanks! The first thing I notice is that this map was published at a time (1881) when only that section of the Lakeshore RR was built from Dover, NH to Alton and stopped there. The "train tracks" then proceed across the lake and indeed, the B&M Railroad owned the Mt. Washington at the time. You boarded the Mt. Washington at Alton Bay from the train and from there you could disembark at Wolfeboro, Long Island or Center Harbor. Center Harbor was the jumping off point for journeys into the White Mountains. Remember, back then there were no roads, so to speak, no cars and the the railroad was fairly new. Note that a railroad hadn't even been built to Weirs Beach yet. At Wolfeboro you could board the Wolfeboro RR and eventually connect to Portland, ME by way of Wells and Old Orchard Beach.

Most Winnipesaukee maps don't show Hill's Pond or Sunset Lake (*Hall's Pond as it was referred to by Roger Amsden in his article about Forum Fest I in the Weir's Times ) ...so I especially like this map.
here ....more specifically, is the link Sunset Bob is referring to
ALTON MOUNTAIN HISTORY

Belknap Lakes is now hosted on the same server as winni.com and snake eyes. When I switched, I signed up for some "masking" feature (which I need to undo) which is why Sunset Bob couldn't capture the link.

Love the map, RG!!!

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote