View Single Post
Old 11-19-2006, 07:49 PM   #5
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Last picture posted-question

McDude,
This is the time of year I drive around scoping outy nifty dives sites, to visit with or without my boat. The photo of what looks like a barn sitting on a damn you posted-where is that? Is it the site I describe below-Whtten Neck Road?

As for my Smiths' River/upper dam question, I figured out what it was I was trying to find, and in fact have already been there. I think it was last summer-June perhaps-I was heading to Mast Landing towards Ossipee and saw on my left across from the Wright Museum that (in what I now know is Smiths' River) that the water level was nearly zero due to construction. I had the good fortune to be able to walk the riverbed down to the RR bridge and damn, looking for old bottles, insulators etc-what a good time and rare chance to see it down to a trickle. A very interesting place.

As for the 2nd bridge over Smith's River a bit north of this area, heading into to Lake Wentorth, I have been there too in my boat, and thanks to help from you and upthesaukee I have a handle on it now. Boy I sure don't recognize that house-like structure I reference above. Still looks like an interesting place to dive.

I went for a 90 minute dive right off the town docks in Wolfboro yesterday. It didn't get really interesting until I hit the river flowing out from Back Bay. The floodplain carries some interesting things, and the brackish rust colored-water was as distinct as a curtain. You could literally put your arm through it from the clearer lake water. Alot like the CT River.

If you ever have any suggestions for interesting sites that I can dive on for pieces of history, send me a private message.

Thanks!
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links