View Single Post
Old 08-07-2006, 01:56 PM   #20
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Great info... from carguy

copied and pasted with permission from carguy...

Steve:

Our camp was located across the street from Frank Cook's camp on the shoreline side of the road. It was colored white with blue trim for many years. Yes, I know Frank passed away. We all knew him as "Buster" Cook. I hear that Jean Cook passed away before Frank.

Here is one for you. I work at Putnam Ford Mercury in Putnam, CT, www.putnamfordmercury.com, My owner’s name is Richard Place and his sister, Judy, is married to Randy Cook. Small world isn’t it.

Here is a photo of a boat that was in the forum:

I believe that this boat in later days was owned by Frank Cook. It’s name was Old Smoothie. It was a beautiful Lake Boat with a long forward deck. This has to be the boat, for there were not too many of this particular style boat on the Lake. Frank ended up selling the boat to Harrah’s Antique Car Museum in Reno, Nevada. I was able to see the boat on display at Harrah’s in September 1969 when I visited the Museum. There was a small sign on the boat which made reference to the previous owner being Frank Cook from Gilford, NH.

Frank was big into old boats. He had a Miss Winnipesaukee stored for years in his barn on Scenic Dr. I understand that his sons restored it a few years ago. This must be it here:

The only other Miss Winni that I am aware of in existence is one that Jackie Irwin owns. I have a lot to add to the forum about old classic boats. I was a member of the Antique and Classic Boat Society New England Chapter. Here is a photo of my last classic boat that I had on the Lake in the mid 1990’s. I kept it at Fay’s Boat Yard.

The above photo was taken at Wolfeboro in 1995. The boat was in the process of being restored. She was a 1952 42’ Chris-Craft Double Cabin Flying Bridge Cruiser named Grumpy Ol’ Men. I eventually sold the boat in 1999 and the new owner had it moved to Nashville, TN on the Cumberland River.

Lots of good stuff to come later.

Regards,

Bill Clarke