View Single Post
Old 06-04-2019, 09:22 AM   #6
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
I think they're all coming to my house. We have lots of them running around and aerating my lawn. I have 3 regulars that chase each other up and down trees and play for hours. They are really fun to watch.

Almost every day I put out a small bowl of sunflower and pumpkin seeds and the squirrels and chipmunks gobble them up. I've seen videos of people feeding chipmunks out of their hands but so far they still run away as soon as I open the door with the bowl in hand. They still don't trust me. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get them to not be afraid of me and realize they're just getting a free meal?
Chipmunks love unsalted peanuts in the shell. I have always found the key to hand feeding them is to do it at the same time every day, sit low on the ground, no sudden movements, and tap the nuts on a board or rock so that they know that dinner is being served. You will initially leave a few of the peanuts every day on the ground daily to establish the daily pattern.

This isn't something that will occur overnight; it will take a lot of days, a lot of trust on their part (and a lot of patience from you). The younger ones are the ones that are likely to show up first.....

It's fun to watch them take the entire shell and store one after one in their cheeks; then they'll run away to hide them and return for more....

Be sure to have someone hide out of sight and take video of the feeding activity as it is something to cherish for years to come.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote