View Single Post
Old 10-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #23
Den65

Default Panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
Okay, silly question. Who's going up on the roof after every snow storm to clean the panels?

Make sure you have a new roof, otherwise in a few years you may be taking the panels off to replace the roofing due to age.
On a 12 pitch roof facing south they are pretty much self cleaning, just as the roof is now with out them. Also when you are covering pretty much the whole roof the abuse on the shingles stops. The back part which is a SHED Dormer roof (still part of the garage) is a little different with a lower pitch (a 4) which is fairly flat I may have to do something but then again those panels won't be working much for 3 to 4 months and I have accepted that. As the off grid guy said not many people have true south facing roofs but I built my house to be as close to that as I can thats why the tube system I have on my house now for hot water( Main house not garage) works well. I would not be doing it if that was not the case. I would go mounted in the yard. Solar isn't for everyone but I'm betting the price of electicity will go up just as fuel will again at some point and I'd like to be doing something to cut that off if I live long enough to see the whole pay back ok, if not I hope the kids enjoy it...
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote