View Single Post
Old 08-12-2020, 06:20 PM   #41
trackeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem View Post
Wondering what the etiquette is when anchoring near the shore with houses around it? I know it’s a public lake so there shouldn’t really be an issue anchoring for the most part but had a woman today near melvin bay that wasn’t happy at all that we were anchored in front of her house. We were anchored out near the row of mooring buoys so about 150’ from shore. She decided to bring her sailboat from shore and attach it to what I assume is her mooring which was right next to our boat in what seemed like an attempt to get us to move. She seemed to have an attitude from the start when she first came out plowing into the tube we had in the water that the kids had been playing on telling us it looked like we were right in her house from where we were. We asked her if she wanted us to move and she said it would be nice if we went out further past the moorings. We stayed for about another 1/2 hour then took the kids tubing.

First time renting a house on lake Winnipesaukee but have rented houses/boats on other lakes and never had an issue before. I would have had no problem moving further down if she had been polite but all she made me want to do is go back there again tomorrow.
Several years back we had a issue anchoring for lunch in a cove with condos, can't remember the name, a owner boating in called us out how we'd like it if he ate his lunch in our backyard, he seems to forget it is a public lake. I think the jist here, the lake is not a private enterprise as some homeowners would like us to believe, essentially most bodies of water in NH are public, hence the row at Squam about a public ramp several years back, there is a pretty sweet public ramp there now!
As for anchoring amongst moorings, I have to ask why, the lake is pretty big and moorings are granted for folks to keep there boats on, if there was a boat or boats there would you have anchored?
There is always a good reason to defend ones position, I believe in our case eating lunch in this persons BACKYARD was a reasonable argument worth defending, which in my true Irish form I did! To anchor where there are moorings seems silly and to argue the point even sillier, not to mention the potential aggravation of doing so, there are mooring blocks under water.
I believe it's either 50/75 feet off shore to anchor, and there are those on the lake who will defend that with glee, particularly if your around their property.
Boating is fun, and the lake is BIG at least New England BIG, there are many coves, we used to frequent Stonedam, quite, no properties to speak of and we can eat our lunch with no interruptions.
trackeer is offline   Reply With Quote