View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #91
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_boater View Post
Are you saying that unioned businesses are all good and non-union businesses are 'corporate greedy' and 'poor treaters' of employees?
Not me... I think unions have long outlived their usefulness and are a menace from their political leanings.

The United Food & Commercial Workers (UFCW) Local 400 President Tom McNutt issued the following statement Jan. 13 in response to Delhaize America’s decision to close 126 Bloom, Food Lion and Bottom Dollar stores across the country, including the remaining Bloom in Ashburn and one of the two Blooms in Leesburg:

“First, let me offer my deepest sympathies to the workers who are losing their jobs as a result of these closings. They have been ill-served by global corporate greed, perpetrated in their case by a multinational conglomerate that treats its workers well in Europe but denies American workers their right to union representation, to earn a living wage, and to job security.

Second, I believe this massive wave of closings demonstrates the failure of Delhaize’s low-road approach to doing business in America. Corporate executives in Brussels viewed the U.S. as if it was a Third World country — as a place where they could make a quick buck by driving their labor costs down to the lowest possible level. What they discovered was what they already knew in Europe — that a fairly compensated, fully-empowered, well-treated workforce provides the stability, productivity and quality service that are essential to long-term success in the retail grocery industry."

Now I think it's time to get back to our regularly scheduled programming as this is going WAY off topic.