View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 06:07 AM   #15
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Interesting.

I'm from 'The Broads' side of Gilford. South of Lake Shore Park. My family was blessed to have a view of both Mount Washington. The Mount was well as the mountain. Bert Cressy was my neighbor. He had one of those home made kit hydroplane with a Quicksilver Merc. I know what its like to have you heart pounding a mile a minute! I 'hang out' mostly at the Weirs at Irwins Pier, LOL!

Richie G bought the Basty from Rivard. I believe Richie tweaked the engine more and it was a bit much for the jet drive. Beautiful boat.

I occasionally hit Alton to check out the girls at the skating rink. Most of them came from the 'bible school' so picking was slim. I remember an Alton native named Paul P. Great barefoot water skier. The Saturday afternoon drag races came later 'in my life'.

The girls that follows or participate in the races were something else! Playboy magazine is tame in comparision! Susie S and her crocheted bikini. The Phaenif and Moriarity girls. Hot boats attract the hot girls.

WWSRA had a reunion last year at the Weirs Museum. Plenty of photos were gawked over. We were talking about reviving the water ski races as our grandkids are bored and spend too much time on computer games. Unfortunately the 'climate' on the lake is too much for racing. We propose to revive to Winnisquam Ski and Boat Club and have races there. It's a lot friendlier lake. To keep the races from 'going crazy', boats have to be 'production outboards'. No more custom jobs, even though they were SWEET!

PS: The parties after the races were UNFORGETABLE! I will always remember Tuppie's tug boat with Gretchen!