View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 07:44 PM   #134
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptT820 View Post
I thought everyone knew this, but I guess not. If you hold a public position in this country (not just NH) whether teacher, police officer, govt. official, etc. your salary is public information, since the public pays you.

Nonetheless, I checked my "estimated assessment" in Alton recently and realized that it went up 147.9% from last year. That is not a typo, 147.9%. I contacted the assessment company, they referred me to the town assessor. This is the quote I got from the town,

"There are some properties that have buildings on their parcels but have been assessed for land only property. We are trying to get our data more consistent and yours is one that was not."

Mind you, my property has had a building on it since 1910. I let the town know that I would be taking legal action through the state through the abatement process. Magically my assessment on my property card was back to the same value a week later. Interesting.

I'm with everyone else, I don't mind paying the tax, but when you assess my land and structure for 75-100% more than I could actually sell it for, then we have a problem.
I'm a bit confused. Does your property assessment description include a building? It should. It should also include the type of use for the building. If it's a workshop without plumbing or heat, that is assessed differently than a residence.

If you have been getting a 33% break on your assessed value because the property is not properly assessed, that is not fair to other taxpayers.

I agree that the assessed value shouldn't be as high as 75 - 100% over market value. However, your idea of market value isn't necessarily the "correct" one. The assessment could also be flawed. It certainly is if it doesn't describe a building that has been there for over 100 years.

It is not surprising that there can be long standing errors in assessment that can and should eventually be corrected. Unfortunately, that can come as a shock to people who have been getting an underserved break.

I'm NOT saying what the reality of YOUR situation is. As I said, I'm confused as to what actually happened.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote