View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 09:33 PM   #26
Winilyme

Just about anything goes off of our place in the Spindle Point area. Scariest thing last year was a gal (or guy, hard to tell given the distance) swimming WAAAAY out there - right in the extremely heavy boat channel between Spindle Point and Meredith Bay. She had a pull buoy which increased her visibility by almost nothing. She was basically buried in the chop. We couldn't believe it and could only surmise that this individual had no knowledge of the lake/traffic and no common sense to boot. There was absolutely no reason for her to be out there and that should have been obvious to her. In fact, I couldn't see any reason she would be beyond 50 feet of the shoreline. Fortunately for the swimmer, a boater saw her and pulled alongside - probably to (1) ask if she was out of her mind and (2) to coach her that what she was doing was extremely dangerous. We saw another person doing the same thing this summer - not as far out but certainly in the main channel. The boats that fly by here are going to have a difficult time seeing anyone like this in time to take evasive action. We also see many SUPs well beyond reasonable limits from shore. They are more visible but unstable so I worry about them too.

I will say that, until getting my jet ski several years ago, I never really had a true understanding about how difficult it can be visibility-wise on the water.
Depends on the time of day, sun position, glare, chop, background and many other distractions that can divide a pilots attention. I'm sure those folks I observed swimming and paddling the SUPs had no idea. They must think that all the boats can see them and will gently swerve around them.

My wife and I kayak quite a bit. We stay close to shore except when crossing open areas like between Spindle Point and Pitchwood/Stonedam. Our kayaks are bright colors, we stay fairly close together (we feel we're more visible like that) and we make a quick beeline to the next shoreline. Still, it's always in the back of our minds that some captain might be distracted and then who knows what. Five years here and many kayak trips and we haven't had a close call yet.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote