View Single Post
Old 07-03-2020, 02:01 PM   #13
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
It should [be taken seriously] by those who are most susceptible to die from it.
This is a very juvenile statement that reveals a shocking social immaturity. What you don't acknowledge---because you're an extreme narcissist---is that we ALL have a responsibility not to infect others. We wear masks not just and not primarily to protect ourselves, but to protect OTHERS. Why? Because they cannot protect themselves, because there is no vaccine against COVID-19! Because others should not have to suffer if we become ill! Do you know why the Japanese have long worn masks when they have a cold? To avoid spreading it to others, because they recognize their social responsibility toward others.

I hear your rebuttal: those vulnerable people should stay home. Meaning: your right to leave home and get the things you need at stores and enjoy life is more important than their right to do the same. I have news for you: your right to do those things is NOT more important than other people's rights.

The evidence shows that up to 40% of people who have the virus show no symptoms. It's also estimated that in the US only 10% of carriers have been identified, therefore the actual number of carriers is 10 times higher than the number of known infected people. I don't know whether I'm a carrier. Therefore I wear a mask in public to protect others.

You have no concept of what it means to live together as a member of a cooperative civilized society. It's all about you! Your rights, your opinions, your freedoms, your financial profit. It's an insult to the country that you've convinced yourself that this is the American way. It is not the American way. The self-sacrifices of hundreds of thousands of healthcare workers, EMTs, ambulance drivers, and other public and private servants over the last four months is the American way. That's the America I grew up in. Those same people would risk their lives to save yours. Meanwhile, you cling to the childish conviction that you owe them nothing in return! Not even an acknowledgment that the pandemic that has taken the lives of 600 healthcare workers so far is real! You have no shame, only a hollow pride in your delusional, cynical version of what we are as a country.