View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #34
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Twenty-five years insurance sales, personal, not commercial, now retired. I don't recall adding liability for a trailer, just comp and collision, because the liability was automatic when the attachment occurred. Think of other examples. Your hubcap goes flying when you drive through a pothole, and hits the windshield of another car. You're liable, covered under your policy. The hubcap was not attached, and you never asked for additional coverage. Same if ice flies off your roof. It's illegal in NH to drive with snow and ice on the roof, but if it happens, you're covered for damage to the other party. The claim will not be denied even though you were in violation of the law. That is considered "contrary to the public good." Policy language seldom varies much because that's what the insurance department approves, and that's what the courts have interpreted.
while I do not disagree with you, the hubcap and the ice don't have their own axles Hub cap is part of the vehicle and the ice you are liable for as well and will cover because it came off the car. Again not disagreeing with you, but in case studies done while I was working at a carrier that we were made to sleep through, I mean go through lol, this was one of them, also during my CIC training. As you will know, it's all in the size of the claim before a carrier can start looking at loopholes or towards other exclusions to get out of paying for a claim, for the few dollars it's not worth the risk.

the other liabilities comes into mind as well, with the trailer just sitting there, and someone foolling around near it or on it, and then the occasion while it sitting there for some reason it gets loose and starts rolling down the street. - Actually had a claim on this one - liability was denied