View Single Post
Old 07-09-2004, 07:57 PM   #8
PHDIII

Default Gps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP
PHDIII -- I am going to purchase either the 5500i or the 5500 with external antenna. I'd rather have the internal for ease of installation, but somewhat concerned about where I plan on mounting the GPS. It is going to be on the right hand side of the dashboard -- the windshield/frame might provide some interference. Also, interested where you purchased yours from and at what price. I'm inclined to buy online and save a $100 from local stores. Your thoughts?
Dan,
My 5500i is mounted beneath the windshield and is surrounded by the metal framing. I worried about this as well when deciding on the antenna type but I have absolutey no trouble. This makes it very easy to move from boat to boat.
As for purchase locations online...the Navman was from Anchor Express and the C-chip was from Landfall Navigation.
I also considered the local purchase argument and asked at the Boat/US dealer what their process would be to repair a bad unit....send it back to Navman. The unit does come with a list of world wide service locations, one of which is in NH (Concord or Manchester??)
I have been doing more and more shopping on-line and I find that items are shipped promptly, are in perfect condition, etc. I stick to name brand items and the better known on-line companies. Maybe I'll hit some bad luck but as of now I've purchased boating equipment, powertools, books, electonics,etc. without problems.
I also find that service in the brick and mortar stores has degraded terribly in recent years (maybe its cause and effect?) The sales peerson at Boat/US was clueless when I asked questions about the Navman vs. Standard Horizon.
He also was "out" of the Wesbar trailer lights module I needed. The online trailer store had them in my mailbox in 48 hours...time enough for me to install them for the weekend.
I also am very annoyed with the accusatory security being seen at some of the retailers...a person to check your bags as you leave the store (Sam's, Home Depot), merchandise sealed in anti-theft plastic boxes so you can't look at the product closely (Circuit City). I'm not a thief and I don't appreciate the retailer assuming I am. This is another factor that is driving me on line instead of to my "Local" merchant.
Sorry for venting...the Navman is really a nice device, happy boating!!
PHDIII is offline   Reply With Quote