Thread: Bear Island
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #32
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
I was giving a simple answer to a complex subject. Yet what I said is perfectly true. In the first place the forest in question is in the center of the southern end of the island. It is owned by "Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests" and is therefore private property, NOT public property. If the society wishes to open their land to GUESTS then that is their privilege. The society can also rescind that permission at any time they wish. So as I said the entire island is private property and only open to owners and guests.

Additionally the forest property in question has no access from the lake. There is no way to get to this land without passing over private property. So unless you plan to parachute in you can't get to the forest. And then of course how would you get out. Helicopters are no allowed on society lands.

So you see the simpler answer I gave is still true. You can't take a boat to the island and walk around unless you are a property owner or a guest of a property owner.

Anyway my post was only about why I don't post my map on the internet. Not a legal argument on land access.
All of the Society's land is open to the public. Since the society is a property owner and since all their land is open to the public, would that not make the public their guest??

It would be a shame to have such a large parcel of land gifted to the society for the enjoyment and recreational experience of all be curtailed by a few island curmudgeons who believe their property lines and rights extend beyond their purchased deed.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote