View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 12:48 PM   #72
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Actually, multiple lanes to get through a light with a later merge do, in fact, increase flow through the light since too many people are too slow to get moving when a light turns green. The merge later is usually pretty efficient as long as people are exercising normal courtesy. I have studied traffic analysis and intersection design in a former life.

Courtesy is not universal. Last week I did experience a jerk (black diesel pickup) who was on his phone in the left lane and left a huge gap in front of him when the light turned green. I was in right lane and got to the merge well ahead of him and was doing the alternating merge when he roared up and forced his way in ahead. Whatever. We're "at the lake" everybody. Relax. Being a jerk to get 20' ahead is dumb. The case of the pedestrians who got cursed for waiting their turn is another example of how we're losing it as a "society".

I agree with a normal merge but this is a special case. If the crosswalk is red both lanes stop and the cars stack up close together and back up into the intersection.

For years we have been programmed to stand on the brakes as soon as a pedestrian approaches the crosswalk. There is not going to be a solution to this until the light is synched, a gate is added, there is a bridge or worst, move the whole thing up to the Lake St intersection and put in a whole traffic light system
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote