View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 05:02 AM   #88
Belmont Resident

Default My observatons

The speed limit did absolutely nothing to curb the problems on the lake.
If anything the timing of it coupled with the economic down fall made it seem as though it may have helped.
The purpose of the SL was to and did cause a lot of the performance boats to leave.
Having talked with someone who was a supporter of the SL I found out that it wasn't really about speed as much as noise and the real drive was to rid the lake of the weekend noise.
As far as the real issues which were always about safe operation and following the rules, not one thing has changed. You still have the same problems with safe operation failure to give way, violating the 150ft rule and they are still being done by the same boaters as before. Mainly vacation goers and those who simply do not care.
Personally I hope it continues to get worse out there until it reaches the level that proceeded the speed limit. Why because then it will become evident that none of the real issues regarding safety were fixed just because the lake became quieter and some of the performance boaters left it.
outlawfun I'm not sure if you were involved or not but those opposed to the speed limit shot themselves in the foot with their own stand on the issue.
We were involved from the beginning and when it became apparent that the opponents did not want to talk about options when it did become apparent that the SL could very well happen, that is when we decided not to be involved any longer. The, my way or the highway mentality with no room for discussion on the issue is what in our opinion helped seal the deal along with the timing of the boating accident.
Also the Formula dealer changing hands had nothing to do with speed limits.
Formula chose to pull out of Lakeport and look for a new dealer and it had nothing at all to do with the speed limit debate or speed limits on the lake.