Old 11-08-2023, 03:52 PM   #94
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
I think I am justified in doing so...

From NHPR:

"Cyanobacteria

The New Hampshire House of Representatives passed a bill Tuesday that would direct the state’s Department of Environmental Services to make a plan to prevent the growth of harmful algae called cyanobacteria in New Hampshire waters.

Cyanobacteria, or blue-green algae, can multiply quickly in water that is warm, slow-moving, and rich in nutrients from fertilizer or sewage. The toxic algae can have harmful health effects for humans, causing rashes and respiratory and gastrointestinal issues. Dogs and other animals can suffer severe illness and death from cyanobacteria.

The first reports of cyanobacteria in New Hampshire happened in the 1960s, and state regulators began a new program to respond to public concerns about the increasing prevalence of cyanobacterial blooms in 2020.

New Hampshire DES asks Granite Staters to call with reports of cyanobacteria at 603-848-8094."

It was passed from DES to the Legislature in 2020. This is as far as the Legislature would go. HB276 -FN-A was retained in committee.
DES can not spend what is not funded; nor can they make any mitigation laws without legislative approval.
So I don't disagree in total with you pointing the blame at the legislature. But as mentioned the process is cyclical.... With out knowing anything about HB276-FN-A in 2020 its hard to understand the actions, and why that bill was retained in committee... But when that happens DES, should be working to get what they need, and trying to get the next steps to happen.

I have no problem blaming DES as much as the legislature.