View Single Post
Old 11-16-2019, 12:54 PM   #30
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
The economics of solar are identical (and excellent) whether you use inefficient baseboards or efficient mini-splits. Just think about using the panels to reduce your electric bill--you could reduce a $300 electric bill by $150, or (using the same panels on a more efficient home) a $200 electric bill by $150. Either way, you are saving $150/month. That $150/month savings is the value generated by solar.

Since the electric heat and solar can work together to save you money, I'd recommend comparing NG to solar plus mini splits combined.

Good luck--we look forward to your report!
Understood. I meant more in where/how to invest at this moment. Given that I have electric baseboard, there's a sizeable investment needed to run forced hot water, etc. registers if I were to go NG. Given that I've got central AC via ducts installed in my attic (split level), I need to look into how I might use those and if it would be possible to use closets to get air to the basement. If so, I think a heat pump with electric baseboard and wood stove backup could be the ticket.

At that point, a solar array may power all but the backup electric baseboard, which really wouldn't matter because I'd have the wood stoves.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote