View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 09:27 AM   #5
Mink Islander

Default Captain’s responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
This is one of my constant fears, as too often the kayaks dont stand out very well. I am always on the look out for them and they seem to pop up where I least expect them.

I cant imagine the horror of actually running someone over and having to try to rescue and save them. Must have been traumatic for everyone there.

Fortunately I have never gotten close, but when they are out in the open water and you have the right wind and wave conditions, some kayaks seem to blend in where they really need to stand out. I understand why some kayakers may want muted colors, but on a lake like Winnipesaukee, if you plan to go out in to the open water (as opposed to those who hug the shore) the brightest boldest colors you can get could be a life saver. I highly recommend the neon green and yellow and anything really loud on the big lake and in open water.

Hoping the kayaker recovers without life long problems and the people in the boat were not injured. Unfortunately they will never unsee the event,,,
Let’s not forget that first and foremost, the captain is required to maintain a safe watch. It was calm and clear yesterday. Only boat wakes stirring things up. We have no idea what color the kayak was, or what the paddler was wearing but it does not diminish the fact that it is the Captain who is 100% at fault here.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mink Islander For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links