View Single Post
Old 05-27-2021, 08:07 AM   #22
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
Why does everyone think this is a back breaking job?

My guess is, you’ve attempted to “shine it” it by other means and just concluded it needs tons of elbow grease to “fix it”.

The body part(s) that are most taxed isn’t your back, it’s your shoulders if anything. And maybe your feet because you’re standing quite a while. I jacked my trailer up on blocks so I didn’t have to crouch much. Platform pops off. But in fairness it was not a “deep V” I/O boat. It was a full inboard ski boat. So the side walls are not as tall as many boats.

BTW, I sold one boat because it was all dulled up and I too thought it not worth the investment or my back. The guy I sold it to polished it and was shocked how nice it came out. I still assumed he had to of broke his back doing it though, that fool. When the next boat dulled up I thought I’m not doing that again and gave it a shot. Could not be happier I didn’t take the lazy route. I was the fool with my old boat and realized how dumb I was to never even try on the old boat.

With all the shortages and demand on everything these days good luck getting it done even at the ~$3000 rate. Good advice though to try and make arrangements now though.

I have not heard from anyone here that has done it, say I did it, came out great and I’ll never do it again because it was to much work. Just “armchair quarterbacks” giving advice on how much physical labor it is that has never done it.

One possible valid argument is your time is more valuable. But my argument there is I often see people spend more time bringing their boat or car somewhere. Wait at their mercy and then go pick it up. I often do things myself because I can control the schedule. And in the end save time. Then I go waste it posting here
In my case, with two kids, time does equal money. That being said, it's less about the difficulty and more about the perceived value. For example, I scrounge and split my own firewood because I enjoy the exercise and using machines (chainsaws are awesome), and the free heat and ambience is both wonderful and economical.

So, part of my decision-making process is the consideration of long-term maintenance. My pontoon requires some wiping down and UV treatment of the seats and general cleaning, which is about it.

Both my homes, also, are easy to maintain. Rock instead of mulch, drainage solutions instead of gutters, etc.

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to a maintenance free life I go!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote