View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #97
Winnisquamguy

Default Fox 25 News

Saw this on last nights news.....

Wind power is all the rage in Massachusetts, which has invested nearly $6 million in projects since 2010, and across the country, where President Obama touted its importance during the first presidential debate, but a review of wind power projects in the state reveals these projects are facing numerous problems from mechanical failures to lower-than-forecast energy savings.
New wind turbines are regularly sprouting up in Massachusetts, touted by Gov. Deval Patrick as proof that the heart of the clean energy revolution lies here. They are paid for partly through a surcharge on consumers' electric bills.
The clean energy revolution is sometimes not living up to its promise, as seen in the wind turbine at Forbes Park in Chelsea. It's been idle for almost three years, installed as part of a high-end green condominium development, which is also at a standstill.
"Absolutely it's frustrating to see it not moving. And we're hopeful that it will get spinning again soon," said Andy Brydges of the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center, which invests money collected from electric bill surcharges in clean energy projects around the state.
"Why isn't that turbine moving?" FOX Undercover reporter Mike Beaudet asked.
"The whole development isn't moving. It was a real estate development that was meant to be a green development," Brydges said.
The failed development comes with a public cost. The Chelsea project received $500,000 in 2007 from a state trust funded by the electric bill surcharges.
"Was that a waste of money?" Beaudet asked.
"I don't think so. I think if you look at all the money we've spent on wind, we're getting a very good dollar-per-kilowatt hour return on our investment. It's too bad, and hopefully that project will come around if the housing market rebounds, and it'll get restarted and prove to be a viable project in the long term. So it's an unfortunate, but we hope a temporary situation," Brydges said.

For the rest click on link.
http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/197...r-green-energy