View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 05:44 AM   #87
Misty Blue

Default Where does the power go?

I have worked for the power company since 1978. Mostly in production but also in distribution.

To say that the power made in NH goes to the southern NE states is only half the truth.

Power distribution throuout New England is controled by the Indipendent System Operator (ISO). I used to work for them.

While it is true that the major load in NE is in south eastern parts of NE the price is the same every where. For example at six oclock this morning the price of electricity was 19.81 cents per kw. Depending where you are it might be a little bit higher or lower due to impedance losses on those long runs of wire.

The grid is the gred. Power from my plant (I'm at work now) goes on to the grid (115KV) and is supports the high line voltage. This voltage is the same all over NE. In fact we are in sinc. with every AC power source from Canada to the rockies to the gulf. Only Texas is isolated.

So when you say that power from NH goes to other states but cheap power made in NH lowers everybodies bills and cheap power made in CT. lowers everybodys bills.

Misty Blue
The Following User Says Thank You to Misty Blue For This Useful Post: