View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #73
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
The girls in work all drink bottled water and rather then throw them out my wife brings home trash bags of bottles as the fill up.
We buy Vitamin water; Mike’s lemonade, Sam Addams etc., here in NH and all are returned to the refund station when we go up.
We don’t do it by the thousands but generally 20-30 dollars worth at a time. There is some Maine bought beers as well. The attendant does know we bring them up from NH and has no problem with taking them because there is no law against it. It is frowned on but given the little these people make off taking in the bottles and the fact they are mixed in with thousands of Maine bottles and cans I doubt he really cares.
As far as I’m concerned if it has a stamp on it that says ME then I’m doing nothing illegal.
Another reason why I believe it should be federal and incorporated into all states, most states that have a refund also have a lot less bottles and cans along their roadways.
There is a law against it, and what you are doing is illegal. From the Maine beverage container law (MRSA Title 32, Section 1866):

"At each location where customers tender containers for redemption, dealers and redemption centers must conspicuously display a sign in letters that are at least one inch in height with the following information:

WARNING: Persons tendering containers for redemption that were not originally purchased in this State may be subject to a fine of the greater of $100 per container or $25,000 for each tender. (32 MRSA Section 1866).

A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is subject to a civil penalty of the greater of $100 for each container or $25,000 for each tender of containers."
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote