View Single Post
Old 08-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #2
bilproject

Default Why a Meredith Island Association

The last few years we have seen a shortage of parking at both Cattle Landing and Shep Browns. The towns response is to write parking tickets. The docks at Shep Browns need repair, the town's response was to put florescent paint at all the heaved trip hazards. The town designed and built a new dock at Cattle Landing that cut the available boat parking. The dock was built without even asking the users what they thought of the design selected. The unbridged islands in Meredith pay almost 1.2 million dollars in taxes with almost 900,000 going to Meredith and the local school districts (I have a breakdown by island).
A request for some 12 hour dedicated dock parking for island residents was dismissed by the selectmen with no "island residents knew what they were getting when they purchased. Slip space is extremely little compared to the number of properties on the islands.
Gilford has an association that works with the town to address island issues. GIA gets a quick response from the town when docks need repair. Gilford's DPW comes with manpower and trucks to remove debris residents bring to the town docks on "Island Clean UP Day". They have a spot to install a mail box and dumpsters for garbage at the town docks. They have 12 hour island only parking.
A Meredith Island Association could address these issues and speak for all it's members. Dues for GIA are $25. per year. If you are tired of taxation without representation and think the existence of a MIA is a good or bad idea then take the poll (if you own property on a Meredith Island). If you are willing to help and put some time into this idea send me a private message.
I know we bought property that is inaccessible for most services. However, I and others would like to see an attitude change in Meredith and at least have the town address our few problems.
bilproject is offline   Reply With Quote