View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #28
Woodsy

Default The answer is... E all of the above!

I am (and I cant believe I am saying this) kind of in agreement with FLL... PUBLIC access on Lake Winnipesaukee is a joke! There are 1 or 2 poorly maintained "public" ramps with little or no trailer parking available. Everything else is pay to play... marinas or motels! I dont think that the state should fund a "sailing center" (sounds more of a private enterprise thing to me) but a well designed boat ramp with plenty of parking should be available! Lets not forget the state had to threaten "eminent Domain" to get the Squam Ramp built!

IMHO.. the reasons boat traffic is down is systematic of the decline of Lake Winnipesaukee as a tourist destination.... most of the motels have been converted to condos... this eliminates a constant turnover for the local retail/tourist businesses. The negative publicity generated by the pro-speed limit folks... its anarchy out there... its not safe... your children arent safe etc... once thats in somebodys head it doesnt easily leave. The economy sucks to put it mildly... people dont have the $$ to drop on expensive week long vacations or high $$$ boat payments. If you are worried about your job the toys are the first to go. Fuel prices are a huge factor! Fuel eats into your budget a little at a time every week.... so much so that you hardly notice until you realize you have nothing extra like you used to!

I am sure there are other reasons as well.. but these are the ones that come to my mind first!

Woodsy