View Single Post
Old 03-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #47
bbarrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Lover
When the bill is voted on in a year it will still be dated for enactment in 2008. The year delay in the vote does not necessarily mean a year delay in enactment.

I am told the reason the committee was so quick to delay the vote was because it would not change the effective date.
Island Lover, you could double check with the committe on that (perhaps email the chairman?) but my understanding was any decision made on HB847 would come too late to affect 2008 season. The bill comes up for discussion again in the trans. committee in March of 2008. They would likely be working with MP this fall to review data. In spring of 2008, the trans. committee must vote again (ITL, or edit/pass). Then it goes to the full house vote a couple months later, then if passed there must go to Senate vote over the summer, then must be signed by the gov. So, it would likely not affect the lakes until 2009 in my opinion.....but I should state I'm no expert. Just passing on what I heard from one of the legislators who's familar with how retainment works.

I would guess the committee just didn't want to make a call on it yet if they have the chance to review relevant DOS data in the fall.