View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 06:52 AM   #12
ApS

Question Live and Let Live...

Recriminations? Isn't the lake "for everybody"?

This "cuts" both ways: a Winnipesaukee camp counselor once wrote:

Quote:
"I do remember one incident during one of my boat training courses where somebody in a powerboat who was living in or leasing a house almost directly across from the camp accosted one of our sailing craft on the way back to his house, almost as if he wanted to sink it with his wake.

It was either harrassment or incompetence on his part. So I got in the camp boat and went over to make sure our boys were uninjured and ask them about what occurred, and then went over to the house where the boat docked.

I stopped our boat within hailing-distance of their place, and some men were still out near their boat, and I said, "Excuse me, but we need you to not come so close to our boats." I wasn't obnoxious about it. I just related that these were kids in the boats who were not experienced boaters and might not know how to react when confronted with a large wake.

Well, the guy who responded with an offhanded, "Just keep your boats on your side of the lake".

I said that it was not in my experience that our laws observed an "our side" and a "your side" of the lake, and if there were further instances, we'd have to involve the Marine Patrol.

He had no answer to that, and I left. I told Waterfront Director about it when I got back, and he did a glance in their general direction. The two of us briefed the Camp Director about it at supper, who was surprized to hear it and took it very seriously.

The Camp Director came down to the waterfront with us later, just to see which house it was, and I think he may have known who owned the residence at one time, but had not known him well. Whether he made calls or not, I don't know, but there were no further problems.

It was my impression, just from the tone in the powerboater's voice, that this guy resented the camp being where it was."
While speaking of "Headway Speed"...

See anything wrong with Lakefront-Maintenance Personnel preparing a Jet-Ski for their client's use?

Yes, he just left that dock in the photo!

Those danged Lakefront-Maintenance Personnel!
Attached Images