View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 06:18 AM   #53
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
From what I have heard firsthand, the newer "hyper heat" split systems work extremely well even in extreme cold. Honestly how often does it get to -15...did it ever get that cold around here in the past couple years?? If that is a concern you could always have a couple of plug in baseboard heaters for that one or two days you MAY need them for a couple hundred bucks or less, then put them back in the closet when done...or have a couple baseboards permanently installed if you don't mind the look. The savings on the mini splits would certainly make up for any added cost which would be minimal.

I am having a Mitsubishi Hyper Heat unit installed now in living space (1000 sq ft) over a detached garage I am having built as my only heat source and have no second thoughts about doing so. We shall see...

Dan
I also have a 2 car garage with a room above that I finished off and it has no heat yet. I've been looking at a mini split to heat this room and the garage, which I just finished insulating this past summer. It has no water to it so I'm not worried about freeze ups but I would like to use it in the winter when we have an overflow of guests. I think it's the ideal space for a mini split as I don't need a back heat source because it's not used all the time. I'm wondering how long it would take to heat up this space from a dead cold if I only wanted to turn it on when needed. I keep my house at 50 and on the coldest days I have to turn it up on a Friday morning, with the Wifi t-stat, for it to get up to 68 when I get there at night. I think my heating system was undersized when it was installed but I have a wood stove to take up the slack.
Who did your installation?
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote