Thread: Summer Help
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #18
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts
Default Very well said, Baygo

I grew up in the construction business in the Lakes Region. My brothers have taken over my father's contracting business. They relate the same issues. Many people don't work because it's easier not to. Those who do work are hit or miss, largely miss. No one wants to work overtime, even in the busy summer season where they could work 12 hour days if they wanted to. How do you get ahead in life - hard work, whether school or business.

Thankfully, in my business, we see young people with great work ethics. However, we hire the cream of the crop. Occasionally, we hire someone who feels entitled, but that has always been the case. Perhaps the issue is the lack of entry-level employees, with quality individuals pursuing more high paying jobs. It seems like kids don't want to have summer jobs, so that may contribute to the problem. My kids are grown, but had summer jobs starting when they were 15. Of my peers and their children, my kids were an anomaly.

Anyway, the issue needs to be fixed. Several local employers have petitioned for increased work visas, so hopefully that solves the problem.
Major is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post: