View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Not sure on the line I'm using. Just whatever I had in the tackle box.
In my opinion, you will definitely increase your catch rate by ensuring you are using a quality fluorocarbon leader, the thinner the better! Winnipesaukee is an extremely clear water lake. Salmon, rainbows, etc, get "line shy" and can easily see the leader attached to your fly / lure if your using a standard heavy mono leader. Fluorocarbon is very thin and transparent and really what you need for a leader on this lake when trolling.

Here is an idea of what I do for leader to try and help you out...

From my lead core, I attach the smallest Spro barrel swivel (size #10) then attach about 75' of 8 lb. fluorocarbon. Some people use mono for this but I do not. I then attach another spro barrel swivel and taper down to 10' of 6 lb fluorocarbon then tie direct to my fly. If your using a lure you can use a very small eagle claw snap swivel (size #1) at the end of your line to switch lures out. "Small" is the key word with everything between your fly and rod when fishing here on Winni. If they see it, you only decrease your chances of a bite. This is just my opinion and some people do it slightly different and maybe totally different but this will give you an idea of what is needed.

You may wish to visit the fishlakewinni site for some very good advice on fishing this lake. The archives there are invaluable, just do a search on any subject you want to know about.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Dan