View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #86
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post

"For This Useful Post", it rated—and got—a rare ApS thank-you.
I must say that I am flattered by this, unless you have removed it by now, that would be OK as I will always have the memory.

Quote:
2) However, look at the number of combined injuries: 1376 That's more than 10-times the number of paddlers without an engine (!)

3) Translated, that means that excess-horsepower injures far more people than the stats would suggest at first glance. (And 'way-more power boaters injured than paddlers).

But excessive horsepower still kills too many paddlers and sailors—according to these stats.
I see stats are not quite your thing, so let me help you make sense of your numbers.

For the big horsepower catagories, I will play along with your including Unknown as assuming larger than 250HP.

With 1376 injures on 2826 vessels, 48.7% injury rate. How many commercial fishing vessels have injuries every year that require Coast Guard assistance?

Of those 2826 vessels, 245 deaths, 11.5% death rate.

Now for the no horse power catagory.

With 193 injuries on 325 vessels, 59.4% injury rate. If you are paddling alone than the chances are not in your favor. If there are two of you in your canoe the chances are still not is your favor. Does the Coast Guard track injuries occuring in a canoe valued at less than $2000.00

Of those 325 vessels, 171 deaths, 52.6% death rate. Might want to have 3 people in your boat if you want to improve your odds.

Quote:
4)And finally:

Paraphrasing President Obama, we Supporters have only "skin in this game". However, this Supporter observes that at least one Opponent has a multi-million dollar financial stake "in this game".

Where is the "I recuse myself from this discussion" button?

What do we forum members think about the incentive for postings where genuine "skin" is not involved—but dollars are?

(Anybody?)
What are you talking about the Marine Patrol and there budget?

Last edited by jmen24; 11-13-2009 at 01:55 PM.