View Single Post
Old 03-25-2021, 09:51 PM   #58
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
I hate to say this, but the reality is that the town docks just aren't big enough for the amount of traffic it carries (mostly) on weekends. I don't think Monday through Friday is as much of a problem, but we all know for a fact that wkends are a zoo!! I don't think it matters how much you expand any docks in any town on the lake, it will never be enough (on weekends), and you obviously can't enlarge the lake. It's not the money, or who pays for the expansion, it's the congestion that's the problem. It's the same problem Boston, and the surrounding areas have experienced since its settlement. It was originally built for horse and buggy. It was NEVER meant to carry the amount of traffic/congestion we have today, same as the lake. The difference is you can "expand" the roadways, byways, and highways surrounding the city, even though that creates it's own set of nightmare problems in itself, and will probably never be "big" enough to handle today's congestion anyways. The only "solution" to this problem on the lake, is to set limits on something, (ie: number of boats allowed on the lake, size of boats allowed on lake, etc,etc...), which we all know will most likely never happen as long as we remain the "live free or die" state. So, in the end, there really is no solution to this problem that keeps everybody happy, unfortunately. Someone, or something will have to suffer. I hope I'm wrong, we shall see. My own personal solution to this problem is to stay away from town docks on weekends. It works great!! I don't want to go places on my boat that i can go in my car...
I no longer boat on Winnipesaukee on Saturdays in the summer as its virtually impossible to get on any town dock, or anchor at a sandbar or even drive safely without constant concern.

Weekdays are MUCH better, but try to get on a Wolfeboro dock on a Wednesday between 11:30 - 1:30, you will still wait.

And it was NOT better last summer even with the COVID.

There is clearly a problem.

What if anything will be done, at the moment it looks like nothing, and still people are undeterred, they are just more impatient - arrogant - dangerous.

I will wait maybe 20 minutes, after that we move on, and hope for a better experience next time.

Having a slightly larger boat (27') I am sometimes picky about what dock space I want to tie up on and will pass up a spot occasionally and wave a smaller boat through ahead of us. I work hard to make sure I dont cut anyone else off/jump ahead in the line while waiting, unfortunately I am seeing more and more people just ignoring any etiquette and bypassing people who have been waiting much longer. Sometimes they say nothing, somethings they argue that they were waiting longer knowing they are BSing. Its getting really bad in the last few years,,,
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote