Thread: Boat steering
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 07:43 AM   #5
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher View Post
I have recently bought a boat and feel I have a steering problem. I have about an inch and a half of play on both sides of the center position. The boat is I/O has a power steering rack and pinion with a single cable to the rack.
It's a problem when moving slowly. I had a mechanic look at it and say it's within range of normal. It's been some time since I have been boating, but I don't remember having that type of play in the steering. Any help would be appreciated.
Steering slop is a given in a cable steering system, but there are some other things you need to know:

1.Mercruiser I/Os require routine checks of the torque on the gimbal ring pinch nuts. If those are loose the gimbal ring can wear and cause steering slop in the drive.

2. Mercruiser I/Os have a pinch bolt on the steering lever that can loosen up and cause wear on the steering lever and swivel shaft that will also cause slop.

For some reason, Volvo Penta I/Os don't seem to suffer from either of the problems described above.

3. All single engine I/O boats with V-hulls wander at low speed. Some are worse than others. With practice, you can stay ahead of it and maintain a straight course. If you wait until the boat has already turned, you are not staying ahead of it. This is not caused by steering slop and it's a well-known phenomenon, but probably not very well understood.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links