View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #12
WinnDixie

Default Some answers, Chickie.

That, again, has to be our John Page Davis...the wife is right. Here's where it gets confusing. He had brothers, Nathaniel S. and Charles O. All three of them served in the 12th NH. I get this from Stearns, Vol. One, Page 215. But, there was also a Charles A. Davis in the 12th. He and Charles O. were both in Co. G. In the 12th NH Regimental history, on page 700, there is a sketch on Nathaniel. On Pg. 654 there's one on Charles A. Note that after the war he lived in Manchester. I would have thought John Page Davis and his wife, Mary, would have deeded property to the brother, Charles O.--but, who knows?? John P. also lived in Laconia after the war..no idea where he acquired all that property he deeded out. We only heard of him living on the corner of Oak and North Main St. Boy, you've got be patient to look into all this stuff, haven't you??? I can remember a time all this genealogy would make me roll my eyes(shame on me!!), but it is taking hold of me now.

The other answer for you is: yes, we have those pages here in the book. The sketch of George H. Smith begins on page 668, and his picture is one of three on pg. 669. The sketch is short, so I'll copy the missing part here for you: "George H. Smith. This soldier, the descendent of a brave and patriotic ancestry, and the son of Joshua M. and Sally (Durgin) Smith was born in the town of Sanbornton, May, 1836. In December, 1859, he married Mary Bunker,of Tamworth, by whom he had one child, Austin, now living, who was a babe in his mother's arms when his father went to war." (it then goes on to pg.670).
I would try to copy these pages for you...if I had the remotest idea how to get your address! I know we are supposed to be able to (??PM??) one another...but I can hardly do a smilie...no idea how to do a PM!! Short of this, you can--for sure--see the actual book at Laconia Library...probably Gilford, too. Do you use Stearns-- Genealogy of NH? They have those, too. It, too, is loaded with info....four volumes, with an index in v.4.

Thanks again! I am about to get involved in a big family wedding, but I might try to work with you afterwards to access the Registry of Deeds...it certainly seems to help. What we really are wondering about is when John Rodney Davis (son of John Page) might have died...he is kind of the mystery for us right now.
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote