View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
Chickie

Thank you SteveA for the links. I have been having a bit of a computer problem so haven't had the chance to check them out thoroughly as yet.

WinnDixie: Doing the research and setting the wheels in motion to have the marker placed on your ancestor’s grave was certainly a labor of love. As I have a keen interest in history, my research has often taken me to Bayside Cemetery to try and uncover the secrets of the past. No better place to get absorbed in local history. Horace G. Whittier’s book, Historical Sketches of Lakeport, has listings of veterans who served in the Civil War from this area. His listing for the 12th Regiment, N.H. Volunteers does not include John Page Davis, so assume it must be only a partial listing of the men who served.

Whittier himself lost two brothers in the Civil War and they are both buried at Bayside Cemetery. Inscriptions on the family monument show that Lt. Joseph K. Whittier, Co. G, 12th Regiment, N.H. Vol., died at Cold Harbor, Va. on June 3, 1864 at age 20 years, 11 months. The other brother, Lyman P. Whittier, was in Co. D, 1st Mass Cavalry and died in Beaufort, S.C. on September 9, 1862 at age 22 years, 6 months. Imagine the grief of having two members of your family killed on the battlefield.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote