View Single Post
Old 07-21-2015, 08:22 AM   #4
Orion

Default Three different names

A rose by any other name......

I know this is an older topic, but thanks to the lake level discussion on a different thread, I finally located the 1900 map showing Cow island as Manhannock Island.

http://www.weirsbeach.com/Largejpgs/1900map.html

Earlier maps, i.e. 1885, show it as Cow Island. The 1900 map is somewhat of a "tourist destination" map and I suspect Camp Idlewild (est. in 1891), which owned most of Cow Island, attempted to make it a bit more attractive with an indian name. It used the name Manhannock in it's promotional brochures cited by RG above. But, alas it did not stick and has remained Cow island, even after attempts to also change it to Guernsey Island: On February 2, 1933, the New Hampshire House of Representatives passed a bill to change the name of Cow Island to Guernsey Island. The Commissioner of Agriculture, Mr. Andrew L. Felker, had sponsored the change, while Major Otis G. Hammond, Director of the New Hampshire Historical Society, had opposed it. Governor H. Styles Bridges approved the new name that August when he inspected the restoration of the old grain mill on the island.

Hey, at least we're not Pig island!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote