View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #12
bigdog

Default Furnace Issue ?

Just to review, Some days it would run fine, then without warning signs, the furnace would go off for no apparent reason ? I was able to restart the system after several reset attempts. However, it shut off sometime early morning.

FYI, had a new burner motor, and burner motor control installed last Spring. Both found to be defective at that time.

Got the oil dealer back out to house to check the furnace system issue.
Anyway, oil dealer indicated I definitely have a power vent 'motor' problem, as the motor heats up and very hot to the touch. Sometimes you can only touch the motor casing for a few seconds because of the heat generated.

Oil dealer Tech, made many adjustments. and checked the 'Igniter' module. This part throws a serious spark into the combustion chamber which ignites the oil which is being pumped in. This checked out fine, as I watched this with my own eyes as he was testing. MAjor spark, no issues there.
He buttoned everything up, and started the furnace this time w/o any issues. He then left. That was in the morning.

By mid afternoon, I noticed the house getting cold again. I went to check the furnace, and sure enough it was out again. Called the oil dealer again, and he came right out to the house. He rechecked everything he checked earlier that morning. Last thing he checked was the Igniter module. This time there was little, almost no spark. That same morning, the spark was like a lightning bolt ! Igniter DOA ! He replaced the Igniter module with new, furnace started right up and has been running fine (crossing my fingers), ever since. Then again, it's only been 24 hrs. I'll be a believer, that the Igniter was the probable cause, if after 2 wks the furnace is still running.

FYI, I bought this property a year ago, and had a 'Home Inspector' evaluate all the systems in the house. He didn't think any issues about the furnace, then again, he didn't perform any tests on it !

Furnace is about 25 yrs old, and had all original parts So that considered things were basically overdue to happen, just because of age. Previous property owner neglected any furnace maint., tuneups, etc for years and never did a thing for upkeep to keep in best operation.

After property purchase I had a complete furnace tune-up, but nothing at the time was indicating any issues with parts failure.

Hopefully, the furnace mystery has been solved, with the replacement of 'Igniter' module, but still have concerns about the longevity of the 'power vent'.

Praying for Spring and warming temperatures!

BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote