View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #13
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM View Post
Guys this isnt new stuff , My drivers ed teacher taught us this 37 years ago.
If you take both lanes right down to the last cone ,then MERGE EVERY OTHER
CAR, there wont be any horn honking or middle finger pointing and traffic will flow "SLICKER THAN OX SNOT". ( quote my dear old dad ).

Next week we will go over;

> choosing the correct lane at the tolls.
> how to NOT go 60 in the high speed lane.
>why the Brunis traded Phil Esposito.
>If the the speed limit on rt.104 is posted 55 why go 35?
>and using common scents while driving
I too have been driving interstates for well over thirty years, and every day now as well. I try to leave enough distance between me and the car ahead to allow for a peaceful and orderly migration for the impatient drivers in the left or right lanes. Just as in ski lift lines, I've learned to Never expect alternate merging. So no RPM, the left lane ends in a mile and a half is not your Target, just a gauge. I'm quite sure that if you at least try to pull in earlier in a better spot, things Might flow more smoothly. But I've learned to be more patient, knowing full well getting ahead of another few cars will only lead me to be right behind someone else quickly enough.

While what you described as people going too slow too soon is indeed a problem. So is the arrogant behavior of the driver you just described. That would be you.

Combined with the people that brake and go to slow, the inevitable crisis is, well, inevitable. I see it all the time, people rushing past the slowed cars, only to put on their turn signals (or not), at the last possible moment. Then the inevitable view of brake lights as cars slow down to let them in. This is the end result of these construction areas. It's way too much to ask that people prepare well ahead of time, and calmly merge in without reducing speed too much. People aren't that good at driving.

The slow drivers in the left lane are always an issue, always will be. Here we have a major problem in that many drivers go out to pass, then slow down PASSING IS A VERB PEOPLE!
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post: