View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Commonsense please

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker View Post
If everyone gets over to the right lane 1.5 miles early, it just creates an extra-long traffic jam. The way the traffic is supposed to flow is cars alternate merging when the lane is closed, not 7,500 feet before... This way, the bottle-neck distance is minimized. And if RPM were doing the speed limit, it was probably the marked 45 mile per hour work zone limit, or should have been. I have no problem if someone wants to get over earlier that they need to, as that is their personal decision. But if DOT wanted everyone over and out of the left lane 1.5 miles earlier, they would have closed the lane back then!
And if everyone (to use your example above) waited until the cones closed the lane you'd have a traffic jam 1.5 miles later than you mention (above). Frankly I don't see much of a distinction between the two. If people are looking for a simple formulaic rule as to when to merge then they're going to be disappointed, there isn't any. Somewhere between the sign and the cones you should find a good spot to merge, zipper-like, into any traffic that may be present. And that traffic should be smart enough to allow cars to merge so everyone doesn't come to an unnecessary standstill. It's a co-operative venture not a competitive one. If there's no hard and fast rule then use that rare thing we call commonsense.

To summarize :
1) Don't wait until the last second if you can find a open spot earlier.
2) Don't jam on the brakes, stop and wait for an open spot.
3) If you're a mergee, try to find a way to let 1 car in front of you if traffic is dense.
4) If you're a merger, then observe the unwritten rule of slotting 1 car into a 1 car opening. Don't be a "donkey" and try to sneak in behind another car who's been given a 1 car space.
5) Violate these rules in my presence and my foglights will open up to reveal twin .30 cal Brownings. Better hope you'll be covered under the new healthcare system !!

OK, OK so the last one isn't a rule per se, more like a wish.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mee-n-Mac For This Useful Post: