View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #21
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
So a 16 year old can get into a boat and go 100 mph in his/her fathers boat and not get any points on their license....because they don't have one, but if I go less than a 150 feet away from a dock I can get a citation that gets put on my license.
BTW...Boaters are not really tested. They go to course, hopefully pass the test, and get a certificate. No one is ever taken out on the water and proven to be a responsible, safe boater. Just hop in the boat with your fresh new certificate and off you go to create havoc on the lake....Once they have drivers ed for boats...that is when they will be tested.
Actually DMV will create a record for the individual, even if they don't yet have a license.

When they attempt to get a license, or actually procure one then the violation you use as an example will transfer over and possibly affect their license status and insurance rates.

Finally pre-drivers (teens in particular) that commit gross vehicular offenses, or a boating offense as you describe, usually find that their privilege to operate a motor vehicle is revoked/suspended until their 18th birthday at a minimum.