View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 07:58 AM   #14
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Pundit View Post
I have helped more than a few new boaters learn the ropes when it comes handling a boat. I am an experienced "OK" captain, meaning I know what I know, and more importantly, what I don't know. I am not going to list the handling skills I help them learn (the list would be moderately long and tedious), but I will list some of the non-handling skills that can be just as important:

Reading a chart and knowing how to determine position.

How to choose a marine radio and how to use it. (I don't know how many people I have advised about having a marine radio. As I have said more than once, cell phone coverage on the lake is spotty and if you need to call for help it may be the only way to do so.)

How to load and balance the boat (goes back to my flying days), something that can adversely affect the handling of the boat and in turn the safety of the passengers and crew, as well as other boats and boaters.

Selecting the proper size/type anchor(s) and how to set it/them. (I ran across some new boaters this summer having problems with a dragging anchor. It turns out their anchor was undersized. They also had it tied off to the bow eye and not a bow cleat which made it impossible for them to adjust the anchor rode to the depth of the water.)

That's just a few of the many things I try to teach if the need arises.
I watched many people on the Broads this weekend in Bow Riders crashing waves with kids in the front popping around like popcorn. Made me wish I could enlighten (educate) them. One in particular was listing to one side quite a bit due to weight distribution and clearly no trim tabs or knowledge of how to use them with 4-5 kids in the front hooting and hollering. High potential of someone getting hurt, made me cringe watching it.

Just as important as education is common sense and awareness. I wonder what goes through some peoples minds sometimes, I think they get caught up in thinking they're having fun. It's all good until it's not I guess or I'm just a buzz kill although I have to say we have a pretty good time with a rope off the back of the boat.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote