View Single Post
Old 11-16-2021, 12:18 AM   #3
gillygirl

Default Diminishing returns on investment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
I'm confused. You seem to be saying that you're tired of the controversy in the Covid section? But then you assert an opinion that's likely to stir up controversy, calling the Covid discussions "bs" and saying posters are "beating the alarmist drum."

I don't personally care where the Covid section appears. It has been probably the most active section for the past two years, so I wouldn't be in favor getting rid of it. The activity in that section shows that people think this is an important topic. And valuable information about things like where to get vaccinations has been posted.

As for the two recent investment threads (I started one of them), I think that's a valid use of this kind of community forum---getting information, opinions, and advice from knowledgeable people. I've personally benefited greatly from the high level of knowledge about home maintenance here.

But as you point out, these topics aren't specific to the Lakes Region, although there are several Covid threads that are specific to this area. I think it's good that this website serves as a meeting place for people to discuss a variety of things on their mind, especially during a time when gathering in public places has been difficult.

My personal opinion is that people who deny the existence of a public threat or post false information about a public threat should be banned and their posts should be removed. In other words, this website should be a public service, not a detriment to public safety.
My concern is that neither the Covid information nor the investment information are specific to the Lakes Region. Don created a non-lake related section for issues that aren’t specifically lake related. He’s probably too overwhelmed to address these issues, but he also seems reticent to allow others to assist him in monitoring things. Yet issues that are broader than the Lakes Region show up in the Lakes Region section, and from what I see, many respected members of this page have discontinued their participation. Don is free to police his forum as he sees fit, but at this point, I think it’s illogical not to accept assistance from trusted members. As an admin to the Facebook page for my community in FL, I recognize that multiple opinions are necessary for the proper administration of any social media platform, but unfriendly discourse from either side is detrimental to the whole, whatever the topic might be.

Personally speaking, I think my participation in this forum is coming to an end. I may monitor for useful information, but this site is far removed from how it was at its inception. It was once friendly…not so much anymore. It’s sad that a pandemic that threatens the continued existence of all can drive such a wedge. But the citizenry of this country seems to be moving from acknowledging an obligation to being part of a society to drumming their own personal rights. Good luck with that attitude when the excrement hits the fan.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app