View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 01:05 PM   #16
Evenstar

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
I have been boating on Winni for 20 years. and NEVER have had a close call. Have I needed to change course, avoid a bonehead, be alert, yes. But never a real close call. These things are just blown out of proportion to get a group of boaters off the lake.
I have had close calls on Winni, that I've posted in this forum. NONE of my close calls has been "blown out of proportion" - I have been totally honest in my posts. Yet some people here can't seem to believe that these kind of close calls can happen, just because they haven't personally experienced them.

Quote:
People need to realize a crowded lake requires ALL parties to be alert and yes change course to avoid morons even if it isn't your fault. I know it can be frustrating but just drive defensively and enjoy the water. I just assume all the other boaters are on a collision course and adjust accordingly.
That's great addvice if you're in a boat that can travel as fast as the "moron's" boat - but it really doesn't help much when you're paddling a kayak, and you're top speed is 5 or 6 mph.

Quote:
The stories of big fast boats going 50+MPH 20' away from other boats is something I have never seen and I think is quite exaggerated.
I've had "big fast" boats that were traveling at least 50 mph come within 60 or 70 feet of me, before they even noticed me. And THAT'S not an exageration.

Quote:
So here is an honest question Who is really scared out there??
Here's my honest answer: I am, at times.

I'm very concerned for my safety when a boat traveling at a high speed is heading directly at me and they apparently aren't paying enough attention to even see me until they get very close. And many other paddlers share my fear and concern. Most of my paddling friends will not even paddle on Winni - because of the high speeds of powerboats (their reason, not mine).