View Single Post
Old 11-02-2020, 08:26 PM   #23
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Don't think many restaurants pool tips any more.
Kitchen crew gets way higher hourly rate than servers because servers get to keep their own tips while the kitchen is not tipped
When a server has to take time on the phone and then service a take out order he or she is taking time away from in house guests and deserves to be tipped accordingly.
Can't tell you how much we appreciate people like Joey that tip generously
I've been tipping about 10% at expensive places for takeout (like Hart's Turkey Farm). And probably well above 20% if it's an ice cream cone or something. We religiously tip 20% for table service but that seems a bit much for walking in and picking up the bag. We were originally still doing 20% for take out. We all have to adjust and if help isn't getting paid appropriately it's the restaurants problem, not mine. So I think 10% is fair. Maybe 15%, but definitely not 20%. I never tipped the grocery store person that bags my stuff.

BTW, if I use cash, I DON'T want any change back and some tips have been $7.00 on a $3.00 cone.

I've trying hard to remember to only use a credit card. Money was filthy before COVID.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote