View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 07:35 AM   #19
ApS

Exclamation Depends on Where You're Located...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Bull! The lake was disgusting back then! Over flowing leach field and raw sewage going right into the lake! The entire southern shore was like swimming in your toilet! The lake is a thousand times cleaner today than it was then! Dan
I've got a 1950s map (a reprint of one from 1909). Except for Camp Wyanoke—established in 1909—it shows all the lake cottages, represented by black squares.

The 1909 map shows maybe four in "greater" Winter Harbor. (Just one on Wolfeboro Neck). Pre-WW2, that number may have quintupled. Today, only a few lots—of maybe two hundred—remain unbuilt.

Between Melvin Village and Wolfeboro, my family has been living here since the 1920s. None has remarked about a decline in water quality—but instead have stated, "Winter Harbor still has good water".

However, Winter Harbor's status quo has been upset since shallow Mirror Lake has recently developed blue-green algae toxicity, and drains into Lake Winnipesaukee. Should we be studying "The Basin", adjacent, as a microcosm of what can go wrong? Are the inhabitants also "city transplants" who require Phosphorus and Nitrogen for their green lawns? Are the required septic systems—copied from Massachusetts design, and sometimes "shared"—inadequate today?

'Course, Lake Winnipesaukee has been used for a century as an invisible depository/dump for unwanted items.

Using heavy rope, three of us were required to lift this item from the middle of Winter Harbor one week ago:

Wonder where such discarded wood (at "X's") could have come from?

Attached Images