View Single Post
Old 09-21-2023, 03:31 PM   #45
ishoot308

Thanked 4,953 Times in 1,920 Posts

See below in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 12 View Post
OK, Just so I understand:

No Feeding of deer on an island...No feeding of deer anywhere not just on an island

They are NOT forced to stay there, they chose to. They are very good swimmers. Yes they can swim but prefer not to. During the winter months when ice fishing, I have seen and counted .as many as 28 deer all together running across the ice being chased by a coyote

No Killing of deer on a island.. Not sportsmen like, gotcha, " I agree "

Forcing signs to be put up won't do anything, unless an island has a bridge. The problem with putting signs up is two fold...For the most part the perimeter of most islands is sold as lots with varying degrees of water frontage, therefore the entire perimeter of the island would have to have signs put up every 100 yds (wouldn't that look nice around the lake?) Now the center mass of the island is usually owned by one two or a few more landowners. If one of the perimeter lot owners does not post his land that means in theory access could be had to the islands center mass. This means another encapsulating set of signs must be placed around the interior of the island which is just ridiculous in my opinion!

Throwing on NH Fish n Game would be a very costly and timely adventure by the State. They care..... But they don't care that much. Nothing was broke, there was no need to change any laws in my opinion.

If it's bothering the landowners that much on a Island, Hire a Hitman. I don't get where anyone said it was bothering them...the rule changes are bothersome not the deer! They can use a 222 caliber with 100% accuracy with Little or NO danger Hmmm....a .222 is just as deadly as any other rifle, not sure what you mean by this?? I wouldn't want to play goalie in front of a .222to anyone what so ever, and still dispatch the deer population to where YOU/THEY ( Land Owners ) feel comfortable with the amount of deer left. I never said there were too many deer on my island Welch...as a matter of fact I do not believe there are... as I stated previously, based on my cameras during the "yard up" months I have counted a max of 10 deer on Welch. These deer do leave the island if and when the ice freezes as they are chased off by predators. Whatever is left after the ice thaws usually stays all summer. I do know Long Island and Governors island had issues in the past and permits were granted at some point to cull the deer as necessary. This worked for many years why are they trying to fix something that isn't broken and by changing / fixing and making new laws they are making things worse!

I do not ever see NH Fish N Game spending time and effort in this direction. One thing we can agree on is that there are many foodbanks in this area that could use the meat to feed many under privileged human beings in the area that could use a hot meal during the cold season. agreed!

I've hunted deer for 60 years. You have 10 years on me! Deer are Deer. Life cycle maybe 8 years for a smart one. Yes they are pretty to watch, but where do you draw the line? No line to draw, leave things as they were...

I wouldn't look for NH Fish N Game to deal with this. Other then to give you permission to hire someone to dwiddle the herd so to speak. Good Luck with your endeavors, and just remember........................ I don't want to change anything!...I just want them to leave it the way it was! The individual towns around the lake will probably now have to come up with their own ordinance regarding hunting on the islands just like Long island and Governors island have their own town ordinance regarding this

Shoot straight and don't shoot often. 300 Savage/Remington 30-06/Marlin 35, Springfield 270, Winchester 30-30 probably 4. To many to count. Just if you do, dispatch them cleanly and quickly.
Dan