Thread: Proposed Law
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 09:26 AM   #43
ApS

Default Concord Monitor, BoaterEd, Soundings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't he hit the 22' boat directly in the stern? How would he have passed safely by?
It was not "a direct hit". Any change in vectoring of those 4˝ tons would have been safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Maybe tougher BWI consequences would be a good place to focus efforts instead.
Like our most famous case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29
Are you seriously comparing a canal and a large lake WRT the need for speed limits?
The "Need for Speed" is enhanced in tight quarters (and alcohol); however, a photograph of Long Lake could be mistaken for hundreds of stretches on Lake Winnipesaukee, and the manufacturer said their own killer-boat was too powerful for the lake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
"...Finally, to equate the horrific crime in Florida (which the poster had to go back eleven years..."
Okaaay...let's go back to the previous summer, where five died without speed limits—and no alcohol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
"...Just read the posts from both sides and see which sound logical and which sound like they are made to scare and shock with little regard to what the facts truly are..."
The above case mentions the use of GPS. Has the "Need for Speed" crowd ever mentioned GPS as an emerging factor in the frequent violations of Winnipesaukee's "safe-passage" rule?

BoaterEd's Les Hall spoke to this collision:

Quote:
"...Had those two boats been running at 25 knots instead of 70, the failure would not have caused such a dramatic turn and the other boat may have had time to avoid it. Nor would the damage have been so extensive. You guys can posture all you want but it is not safe for two boats to be doing 70 or 80 side by side or for boats to be going that speed on inland waters. Exciting, yes. Safe, no...If accidents like this one keep happening, that's what will happen on the water - speed limits everywhere..."
Don't forget that between 100-130-MPH, I have many more hours (than most) on a closed race course. Also, I go boating 12 months a year.(And get to view other boaters from three different locales).

Soundings magazine is my boat-savvy reading, who recount the awful effects of speed, alcohol, money, ignorance and overpowered boats every month.

And this "isn't just about me" being a proponent: the entire editorial staff of the Concord Monitor has come on board today.

http://www.cmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1027/OPINION01

(2nd paragraph from the bottom).