View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #57
CAVU

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakinKid View Post
I did some asking around, and come to find out, I know the driver of the boat, who feels awful right now. He's been a long time summer resident here, and knows the lake quite well. I'm told that it was a dark green canoe and neither he nor his passenger was able to spot the canoe in amongst the waves. Having a dark-colored canoe or kayak that's low in the water makes it much more difficult to spot. If the canoeist was wearing dark clothing at the time, that would make him blend in even more.

Fortunately, there were no serious injuries. Canoes can be replaced, people can't.

This accident should serve as a reminder to kayakers and canoeists that brighter is better when on the water. That's why I have a lime green kayak with solas tape, a red PFD with solas tape, white paddles with solas tape on each side, a bright orange boonie hat, and a YakAttack VISICarbon Pro flag/light mounted on the back of the kayak. If for some reason someone doesn't see any of that, there's the whistle and air horn to fall back on.

Just as people drive defensively on the road, kayakers and canoeists also need to paddle defensively when on the water. I've been known to paddle forward like a madman in some instances, and other times I've done a complete 180 and paddled in the other direction in order to put distance between myself and an oncoming boat. When they've passed or turned, then I do another 180 and continue on my way. I may get a little more exercise, but at least I'll get to my destination safely.
I do some kayaking, and I have a 23ft boat on the lake. After a few people scared me when I came up on them without seeing them. I attached a large orange bicycle flag to the kayak.. Although, I can say that I stay inside the markers, away from the boat channels and you wouldn't catch me out in the middle of the lake in kayak or canoe.. Way tooo dangerous..