View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Wow, we are less than half the national average and Vermont is around double the national average.

Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island are all above average but well within what I would expected. I would have expected better for Maine. I never would have guess that about Vermont. What do I not know about the Green Mountain state?
Vermont's usually pretty low. At least two lakes are Coast Guard patrolled, due to their being border lakes, so that may be a contributing factor as to reported accidents. I rarely hear of accidents on Lake Champlain, but there are several canoes, kayaks, and several other small crafts that contribute to drownings each year. I believe more people have died on Winni this year than last?

Statistics are a funny thing. If you look at accidents and fatalities on Winni the past thirty years, it's a very small number. More than likely, drownings in the spring are the highest category. Certainly much higher than collisions, which nobody can seem to cite a number for.

Seems like alcohol is the largest factor, still. Interesting to note that most of the problems occur with boats under 26', the Vast majority.
Vermont had two alcohol related accidents in 2004, one death. None since 2004.

8 accidents last year, five deaths. NH had 28, with only two deaths.

Both NH and Vermont are like spitting into a pond. If you have 3 extra accidents in a year, it extrapolates to a tremendous increase. The real factors in all state's data point to the type of problems people have been pointing out for some time.

Nice figures, sounds like mayhem.

It looks like the new SL law is killing people on NH waterways. Quite an increase this year.

Last edited by VtSteve; 08-17-2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: had to read it