View Single Post
Old 02-01-2021, 07:48 AM   #21
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieCat'n View Post
Mary, Before thinking much about what you can do nearby your future lakehouse I'd encourage you to get the basic feng shui to your liking. So the 1st question to ask yourself is what time of day do you want to have sunshine bathing the lakeside of your home? Morning - east facing home, Afternoon - west facing, All-day - south facing... For me, I absolutely wanted to have morning sun. Since south facing locations tend to be rare and $$$, I found that nearly the entire west-side of Winnisquam met the requirement. So that's where I am and now enjoy sunrises year round, and try to never miss a full-moonrise while sitting by the campfire in my yard overlooking the lake. 20 years ago, I found Winnipesaukee very hard to house-shop. With so many coves, you couldn't tell what direction the house faced until you got there. With virtual tours now, perhaps not a problem. I would also recommend house-shopping by boat from the waterside. Rent one for a day, you'll very easily, pick out what part of the lake you prefer.
You are absolutely correct about locations. Your preference as what you want, sunrise (west side), sunset (east side), White Mountains (Southside).
The Southside of both lakes tends to be a little congested, but the North is the opposite.
Winnisquam is definitely a lot quieter and boater friendly. Different kind of crowd. Limited docking and launching is a major part of this on weekends. Weekdays are great for paddle sports as well as water sports.
I live on the east side of Winnisquam with great sunsets. I live next to Ahern State Park, a fantastic walk. I can walk the WOW trail to Lakeport where I keep my deep V for weekday cruising on the big lake! Play your cards right and you can have the best of both lakes!